Branch: Metropolitan Office
Job Type: Volunteer (Program or office) Job Position
Category: Literacy Services
Purpose of Position:
Plan lessons and tutor a YMCA Community Literacy student one-on-one. Send sign in/out sheets or contact hour forms to the Y Literacy Office monthly. Communicate with student and/or family to ensure regular attendance. Perform all duties with honesty, caring, respect and responsibility.
- Education: Must have a high school diploma or GED or be a student in good standing in secondary program. Must possess strong literacy skills in English.
- Experience: None
- Special Skills, Licenses, Certifications or Equipment: Must have a clear background check or if under the age of 18 years be a student in good standing.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Support effective tutoring sessions by being timely and regular in attendance.
- Facilitate goal achievement of students by planning meaningful lessons.
- Articulate lessons and progress clearly and positively to the students and/or families.
- Send sign in/out or contact hour sheets in a timely manner.
- Listen attentively to students.
- Analyze student progress.
- Plan and present effective lessons.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan weekly/bi-weekly lessons
- Communicate via phone, email, or text with student and/or family to ensure regular attendance and with Literacy office as needed.
- Use literature in lessons.
- Notify program director of changes.
- Commit to working with a student for a year.
- Perform all duties with caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Facilitate short-term goal setting for longer term student goals.
- Engage in regular goal-setting and goal-tracking conversations with student.
- Read out loud and understand text in English.
- Travel to an approved tutoring site regularly.
- Mail, fax or email sign in/out sheet monthly
Contact Name: Sherita Love
Contact Phone: 314.776.7102
Submit Resume and Cover Letter:
Deadline: Dec 31, 2014
- By email
- You can attach your resume and cover letter
- By Regular Mail
- By Fax
- The YMCA Welcomes a Diverse Workforce
- Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Must Pass Criminal History Background Check
- Must Pass E-Verify Check
Internal candidates must submit Internal Job Posting Application with resume (see HR section of intranet for form).