The Webster Groves Family YMCA got its start in 1942 when a committee of Webster Grove high school students requested a meeting with representatives of the County Branch (Mid County) YMCA. The students were looking for a club headquarters where they could meet socially, especially on weekends, and asked the County Branch to consider the development of a YMCA center in Webster Groves. Three months later, a one-room storefront was leased and youth attendance was recorded at over 47,000 for the year that followed. The branch quickly outgrew the storefront space, and, in 1944, moved into a three-story house, which served as a community center and youth clubhouse. In 1958, a new 25,000 square foot facility was built featuring two club rooms, game room area, lounge, dining room, office space and an unfinished basement. A swimming pool and locker rooms were added in 1968 and an aerobic/dance floor added to the basement in 1987. In 2000, the fitness area was expanded and cosmetic improvements were made to the lobby. The Webster Groves and Kirkwood YMCAs were merged in 1984.
Please review our Branch Policy page.