Put the exercise shoes aside for a moment and enjoy another side of the Y with a myriad of educational programs. Get set for some cerebral inspiration!
- Jr. Leader's Club (ages 10 - 12) - Program that teaches leadership skills to pre-teens which includes socializing, opportunities for personal growth and community service. Pre-teens attend conferences/workshops and lectures from guest speakers. Social Activities include lock-ins and dances. Jr. Leader's Club meets on Thursdays at 6 p.m. For more information or to join the club contact Grailian Nash at 314-367-4646 ext. 238.
- Climbing Above Conflict - A cooperative program between the YMCA of Greater St. Louis and the Saint Louis Public Schools. The program is designed to help fourth grade students learn acceptable ways to resolve conflict that otherwise often lead to aggressive bahavior. The students participate in activities to challenge them to work together to solve problems. Contact Edward Nichols at 314-367-4646 ext. 238 for more information.
- Literacy Learning Labs - The Learning Labs provide small group instruction for students who need help improving their reading or math skills. Participation in the Learning Lab at Cool Valley is restricted to upper elementary students attending that school. Students enrolled in the Learning Labs attend regularly scheduled sessions twice a week during afterschool hours. For more information or to enroll contact Sherita Love at 314-776-7102.
- Leader's Club (ages 13 - 18) - Program that teaches leadership skills to teens which includes socializing, opportunities for personal growth and community service. Teens attend conferences/workshops and lectures from guest speakers. Social Activities include lock-ins and dances. Leader's Club meets on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. For more information or to join the club contact Grailian Nash at 314-367-4646 ext. 238.
- Youth in Government (YIG) provides high school students with the necessary tools and information to explore the concepts of democracy. This club also promotes youth citizenship and civic responsibility to the school, YMCA, community, and state of Missouri. We are currently looking for high school students who have a passion for politics to join our 2011 – 2012 Youth in Government Club! If you have an interest in forming legislation, arguing court cases, lobbying delegates or writing press articles, please call Nicole Rowan at 314-367-4646 ext. 242.