The Mid-County Family YMCA, originally named the County YMCA, was established in 1931. Operating out of an office in Clayton for 26 years, the YMCA turned to schools, churches, recreation centers, parks and the Downtown YMCA for sites to hold classes and programs. Construction of the original building began in 1957. Renovations over the years provided four racquetball courts and an indoor running track. In 1989, a capital campaign provided funds to add a 25-meter, L-shaped pool with a diving well, new program space and a preschool child care center.