LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
Reclaiming Normal--Improving Cancer Survivors' Quality of Life
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous toll on a person, both physically and emotionally. The Y and LIVESTRONG have joined forces to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being initiative designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals.
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals. These include building muscle mass and strength; increasing flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence and self-esteem. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA at a glance
- A 12-week wellness program for adult cancer survivors that meets two times per week
- Its FREE of charge; survivors and their family receive a FREE three-month family membership to the Y branch where they participate
- The program utilizes a curriculum developed by Stanford University
- Y certified fitness instructors work with participants to develop an individualized fitness program that allows them to progress at their own pace
- An additional benefit of LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is the opportunity to create a supportive social network and form new friendships
- Survivors should contact their local participating Y to enroll and answer a short questionnaire
The following YMCA of Greater St. Louis branches offer LIVESTRONG at the YMCA:
|Edward Jones Family YMCA||314-439-9622|
|Four Rivers Area Family YMCA||636-239-5704|
|Mid-County Family YMCA||314-962-9450|
|O'Fallon Family YMCA||636-379-0092|
|South City Family YMCA||314-644-3100|
|South County Family YMCA||314-849-9622|
|St. Charles County Family YMCA||636-928-1928|
Stay In the Loop
Click here to receive emails from the South County Family YMCA about special offers, membership, programs, fundraising and more!