Personal Trainer I
Branch: St. Charles County Family YMCA
Job Type: Non-Exempt, Part Time Job Position
Category: Health and Fitness
Purpose of Position:
Under the direction of the Health and Wellness Director/Coordinatorthis position’s primary goal is to develop and implement individualized approaches to exercise in healthy populations and or/ those individuals with medical clearance to exercise in accordance with the YMCA Health and Wellness Program Model while putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.The “Y” values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility will be exemplified in all aspects.
College Degree in Exercise Science or related field preferred.
Minimum 6 months of experience, in the field or classroom, in developing exercise prescriptions/exercise programming and instruction.
Special skills, Licenses, Certifications or Equipment
- Currently personal trainer certified with a national organization that tests both theoretical knowledge and performance, such as A.C.E., A.C.S.M., N.S.C.A.
- Currently certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (C.P.R.), A.E.D. and First Aid. *
- Complete YMCA New Employee Orientation. *
- Complete Health Seeker Video. *
- Complete Tortal Training*
- Complete YMCA Healthy Lifestyle Principles. **
- Complete YMCA Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise Instructor. **
- Complete Listen First. **
* Within 30 days of employment or at first available training, may be required at hire.
** Within 90 days of employment or at first available training.
Perform all duties while exemplifying the "Y" values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Organized and creative.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Instruct clients in a noncompetitive, non-intimidating manner.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and motivational.
- Teaches with enthusiasm and genuine concern for his/her clients.
- A good physical example and role model for a fit and healthily lifestyle.
- Professional manner and appearance.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and kinesiology
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promotes the YMCA’s healthy spirit, mind and body philosophy through individualized personal exercise prescriptions.
- Screen and interview potential clients to determine their readiness for exercise and physical activity.
Perform fitness tests or assessments (as appropriate) on clients to determine their current level of fitness including but not limited to:
- Resting heart rate
- Resting blood pressure
- Body weight and height
- Body composition estimates using skin fold calipers. Etc.
- Circumference measurements of limbs, hips and waist
- Calculation of BMI
- Calculation of hip-to-waist ratio
- Measurements of flexibility
- Tests for muscular strength/muscular endurance
- Tests for cardio respiratory fitness
- Help clients set realistic goals and provide motivation for adherence to the program.
- Ability to develop and deliver exercise prescriptions to all clientele.
- Demonstrate and instruct specific techniques to clients for the safe and effective performance of various exercise movements by applying the fundamental principles of exercise science.
- Supervise or “spot” (physically assisting clients with an exercise that usually involves free weights or dumbbells to minimize risk of injury) clients when they are performing exercise movements.
- Maintains records of clients’ progress or lack thereof with respect to the exercise prescription.
- Motivate individuals to begin and to continue healthy behaviors.
Contact Name: Human Resources
Contact Phone: No Phone Calls Please
Submit Resume and Cover Letter:
Deadline: Mar 31, 2013
- By email
- You can attach your resume and cover letter
- By Regular Mail
- 3900 Shady Springs Lane
- St Peters, MO 63376
- By Fax
- The YMCA Welcomes a Diverse Workforce
- Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Must Pass Criminal History Background Check
- Must Pass E-Verify Check
Internal candidates must submit Internal Job Posting Application with resume (see HR section of intranet for form).