- Health & Wellness
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
Reclaiming Normal--Improving Cancer Survivors' Quality of Life
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous toll on a person, both physically and emotionally. The Y and LIVESTRONG have joined forces to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being initiative designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals.
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals. These include building muscle mass and strength; increasing flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence and self-esteem. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA at a glance
- A 12-week wellness program for adult cancer survivors that meets two times per week
- Its FREE of charge; survivors and their family receive a FREE three-month family membership to the Y branch where they participate
- The program utilizes a curriculum developed by Stanford University
- Y certified fitness instructors work with participants to develop an individualized fitness program that allows them to progress at their own pace
- An additional benefit of LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is the opportunity to create a supportive social network and form new friendships
- Survivors should contact their local participating Y to enroll and answer a short questionnaire
The following YMCA of Greater St. Louis branches offer LIVESTRONG at the YMCA:
|Edward Jones Family YMCA||314-439-9622|
|Four Rivers Area Family YMCA||636-239-5704|
|Mid-County Family YMCA||314-962-9450|
|O'Fallon Family YMCA||636-379-0092|
|South City Family YMCA||314-644-3100|
|South County Family YMCA||314-849-4668|
|St. Charles County Family YMCA||636-928-1928|
Our next LIVESTRONG session will be from July 8th - September 30th
- Mondays and Wednesdays 10:15 am – 11:30 am – Instructor Diane
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm - Instructor Mimi
Space is limited so sign up early, or you can be placed on a waiting list for the next session.
Call now to be added to the wait list!
Kathryn Hubbman of St. Peters heard about the YMCA’s LIVESTRONG class while a patient at the oncology group at SSM Cancer Care. As a breast cancer survivor, she had been through radiation, surgery and physical therapy. “You become a protector of your body and have to regain mobility,” she said. When she heard about the YMCA’s free LIVESTRONG program for cancer survivors, she was ready to do something more. “You just start with baby steps,” she said. “You can see the progress you are making in the LIVESTRONG class and can see yourself getting stronger. The LIVESTRONG program focuses on the positive – on what you can do.” Kathryn enjoys the water aerobics class – plus the whole YMCA. “You get such great support at the Y. You can ask for prayers for strength and the others understand. I just love it!”
Deb Lamphear of St. Charles is also a cancer survivor. Through her visits to the Siteman Cancer Center, she heard about the Y’s free LIVESTRONG program and decided to give it a try. She wanted to build her strength and get back to where she was pre-cancer. The LIVESTRONG program includes strength building exercises and fitness classes. “I like the fact that there are different kinds of classes that peak your interest,” Deb said. “You can find the one that is just right for you. This is a great group of participants. You have such good support and can share experiences. Everyone has a very positive attitude.”