Efforts to organize the Kirkwood Family YMCA began in 1950 with branch status granted in 1953. Programs were run out of a residence until 1957 when a church parish house, built in 1922, was purchased. The 16,000 square foot facility included offices, multi-purpose rooms and an auditorium. In 1968, a four-lane pool, locker rooms, lobby area and weight room were added to the south end of the building.
The 1986 capital campaign provided funds for another addition; however, in 1988, a fire destroyed the original parish house section of the facility and the construction plans for the addition had to be reworked.
In 1990, construction was completed on the 24,000 square foot addition, which features a gymnasium with running track, locker rooms, Nautilus center, multi-purpose room, babysitting center and administrative offices. Renovations were made and equipment added to the strength training and free weight areas in 2000.
Please review our Branch Policy page.